Canja de Galinha
Recipe type: Main
Canja de Galinha is a Brazilian chicken soup.
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken meat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup white rice
- ¾ cup tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup carrots, chopped
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- ¾ cup diced ham
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Add chicken, onion, and stock to a large pan. Bring to a simmer, and cover. Cook over low heat until the chicken is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Lift the chicken out onto a platter, and set aside.
- Strain the stock through a sieve set over a bowl. Discard the solids, and skim off as much fat as possible from stock.
- Rinse out the saucepan, and return the stock to it.
- Add the rice, tomatoes and carrots to the stock. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer. Cook until the rice is tender, about 25 minutes.
- Cut the chicken into strips. Return the chicken to the soup with the ham, and cook just long enough to heat through.
- Add the parsley, and serve.