Recipe type: Main
Feijoada is a Brazilian bean stew recipe.
- ½kg black beans - cook and separate
- 1 large onion
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 200g bacon
- All following ingredients (except the 'paio') are salted. They have to be washed several times, and boiled twice (just put in cold water and bring to boil; change the water and bring to a boil again). Everything (except the 'carne seca') is pork.
- 250g pork loin ('lombo')
- 250g 'paio' (a kind of soft pork sausage)
- 1 tail
- 1 or 2 tongues
- 1 ear
- ½kg smoked pork ribs
- 300g 'carne seca' (dried beef - a kind of really soft beef jerky)
- Cut the ingredients into pieces (3x3cm to 4x4cm cubes)
- Put them together in a pan, add water (just to cover them), and add 1 laurel leaf. Cook until they start to become soft.
- In a separate pan, add oil, cook onion (sliced), cloves of garlic (chopped) and bacon (chopped). Season beans in this mixture.
- Add meat (and water if needed) and cook on low heat, until cooked.
- Serve with white rice, kale (finely sliced and simmered - use only olive oil and garlic), hot pepper sauce and oranges (peeled and sliced).