Recipe type: Entree
Moqueca is a Brazilian fish stew recipe.
- 2 kg fish (grouper or shark)
- Lime drops
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 seedless red peppers, sliced (rings)
- 1 kg ripe tomatoes (hard), sliced (round)
- 5 medium size onions, sliced (rings)
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped chive
- 1 cup oil
- 250ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp dende oil (optional - dende is extracted from an African oil palm)
- Cut fish into thick slices, season with lime, salt and pepper.
- Let stand in fridge for 1 hour.
- In a bowl, mix red peppers, onions and tomatoes.
- Add coriander, parsley and chive. Mix well.
- Spread some of the mixture over the bottom of a large clay pan. Add one layer of fish, one layer of the mixture, successively. Pour oil over and cook at low heat, for 30 minutes. Turn stove off, cover tightly, and let stand for 2 hours.
- Turn stove on, when it starts to boil, add the coconut milk and the dende oil.
- Cook for 15 minutes more.
- Serve with white rice.