Recipe type: Drink
Quentao is a traditional Brazilian cider.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups water
- ¾ cup cubed fresh ginger root
- 2 limes, sliced
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 (750 milliliter) bottle pinga/rum
- While stirring, cook sugar in a saucepan place over medium heat until the sugar melts and turns golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the water, stirring to dissolve the sugar caramel. Add the ginger, lime, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pour in the pinga, and cook until hot, about 5 minutes more. Strain before serving.